Blog Post 1: Technology Strengths and Weaknesses

When reading the standards for teachers listed in the International Society for Technology in Education (2014), I was struck by how many of their standards were expectations I had for my own teaching.  Due to my belief that technology can be a powerful motivator for learning, I have always worked to incorporate it into my teaching.  Reading through this list, however, also made me realize the weaknesses that I need to work to improve.



I have always been comfortable with technology; many of my teacher friends have referred to me as their "local IT support."  Because of this level of comfort, I have welcomed technology into my classroom, and I have challenged both myself and my students to find innovative ways to use the materials that were provided to us.  Through this goal, I have participated in a grant program that brought iPod Touches into my classroom, attended a Smartboard Academy and developed grammar lessons for my district, and presented two times on the use of technology in the classroom, once at the Virginia Society for Technology in Education conference and another time at the conference for the National Council for Teachers of English. 



I feel that my main "technology strength" is that I am willing to try things and be okay with the results, however they turn out.  For example, I have marveled at how simply using an iPad to record silly actions helped my students understand the function of adverb clauses, but I have also despaired when Google Docs wouldn't load correctly on those same iPads, causing my carefully planned peer editing class session to end in disarray.  I feel that many teachers don't harness the power of technology due to a fear of it ending badly, but as my Google Docs fiasco proved to me, even something that ends badly has value; my students still got some peer editing done (just not exactly how I had planned), and I learned to be sure to check out laptops the next time I wanted collaboration on Google.  As the ISTE Standards for Teachers (2014) state, technology should be used to "facilitate and inspire student learning and creativity" (p. 1).  As a teacher, I need to not let my fear of a broken lesson plan stand in the way of that important goal.  I think I do a pretty good job of this currently, but by learning and becoming more comfortable with technology, I can only continue to improve the experiences my students have with "digital age work and learning"  (ISTE, 2014, p. 1).



While there are many parts of my teaching practice that are constantly evolving and need to be improved, I identify the idea of "promot[ing] and model[ing] digital citizenship and responsibility" (ISTE, 2014, p. 2) as my greatest weakness.  I could use this as a space to bemoan the assessment-driven culture that our schools have adopted, but the bottom line is that, as an educator and member of a technology-rich society, I need to take into account the fact that having my students be able to answer a grammar question on a common assessment might not be as important  as teaching them how to thrive in a digital world.  This year, my school had a major problem with Twitter bullying, so I tried to focus on that in my classroom by having them discuss and then research social media and its effects on different aspects of life.  While I feel that this was a really worthwhile lesson in that it allowed my students to connect to the real world, practice citing sources, and learn about an issue that was directly affecting them, I believe that I could do more.  There have to be more of these teachable moments about our digital world that I ignore in order to focus on the difference between a compound and a complex sentence, and I need to find a way to meet both of these goals simultaneously.



In the end, I feel that the more I embrace the idea of being a lifelong learner and continue to open myself up to new ideas and technologies for the classroom, the better prepared I will be to meet the ISTE Standards for Teachers.  I would like to learn about more ways to engage with my students through technology.  Discussion, writing, and reading are all integral facets of the secondary English classroom, but through technology, I can engage my students' interest while meeting them, in a sense, on their own playing field.  While I have already considered having them start their own Blogger accounts as a writing portfolio next year, I hope to expose myself to many other forms of instructional technology so that my students will be reading, writing, and discussing great literature while at the same time being best prepared for the challenges of a digital age.

References:


International Society for Technology in Education (2014).  ISTE Standards: Teachers.   
     Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/20-14_ISTE_Standards-T_PDF.pdf

Comments